Why is it every time some kind of disaster happens somewhere around the world, the first thing all the talking heads do is focus our attention on it for several days straight and try to couch the whole thing on whether or not it will happen to us?
So, the story du jour is the Tsunami. Anybody want to take odds on how long this story occupies our collective consciousness? I figure it’ll be about two weeks, about the time it takes for everyone to get tired of all that vacation video of the big wave. I’m a cynic, what can I say.
I really like the fact on a couple of tonight’s newscasts, the newscasters were broadcasting from the scene and observing that little had been done to remove the dead and rotting corpses. One comely looking lass, commented on the reek from a decaying corpse and opined it was disgusting...
How could these people not cleeeeaaaannnnn uuuuupppppp?!?!? (you’ll just to have to try and imagine the annoying whine of her voice)
It’s real fun watching a natural disaster occur in a second or third world country viewed through the prism of the first world newscaster. Never mind the governments in many of the stricken nations have a big enough problem just delivering basic services like clean water, housing and a sanitation system - yeah, they’ll get right on that thing with the bodies lady.
I have my own problems with the guy from the UN and his statements. While I can understand he’s motivated in a purely humanitarian way - anything even remotely coming out of the UN these days in the way of moral indignity I view with a certain jaundiced eye. Then again, since were all supposed to be unto gods ourselves (the human race that is), always somewhat amazing when we find that the natural world isn’t buying into our bullshit - it’ll make me think twice before the next time I take out one of those ever prevalent ant hills.
No comments:
Post a Comment